OUR HOME - THE MARLBOROUGH HALL
This grade II* listed building is situated in the middle of the busy town of Halifax and is surrounded by other magnificent example of architecture from the time. Designed by Bradford architects Lockwood & Mawson and built during the textile boom in the 1800's it opened it's doors on the 16th January 1857 as the Mechanics Institute. After a few years as a club and dance academy the army took over for the period of the 2nd world war and used it as a base. The Halifax & District YMCA took over the Hall in 1946 and are still using it to this day. The Hall has been used for many things over it's extensive history, these include a Theatre, Dance Hall, Cinema, Club, a live music venue for famous acts such as The Merseybeats & Lulu to name just a few & these days for the popular past time of roller skating/blading. The Hall is always in need of maintenance and we are currently searching for funding to assist in this. The Halifax & District YMCA is a registered charity in England and Wales No 1163210
The YMCA has been many things to many different people since it was formed in 1844 by George Williams, but in Halifax it now means FAMILY and the events that take place at the YMCA reflect this. 600 young people and adults use our services each and every week and benefit from the time they spend with us. The YMCA is a Christian movement but we believe the work we do is a reflection of the wider community and the diverse nature of today's society, so it's neither 'Young men', nor just 'Christian' it's a multi age, multi cultural family.